Mass Tort Lawyers
In a world where big corporations often seem untouchable, Paul LLP Trial Attorneys offers a beacon of hope for those seeking justice. Concentrating on mass tort law, we strive to ensure that no one is beyond the reach of justice and that those who have suffered wrongs can find redress.
With a commitment to hard work, loyalty, and collaboration, our firm stands out among its peers. We understand that every detail matters in every case, and we have a knack for putting together the pieces where others fail. If you have suffered injury or harm from a corporation’s product or service, do not suffer in silence. Contact us today at (816) 984-8100 for a free consultation with a member of our legal team, and let us fight for the justice you deserve.
Why Choose Paul LLP Trial Attorneys?
Paul LLP Trial Attorneys stands out for several reasons:
- Work Ethic: Our dedication to our work is unrivaled. We are fearless in diving deep into the weeds of a case’s factual, legal, and procedural issues, and we relish the opportunity to learn something new. We are detail-oriented, understanding that every fact matters in the pursuit of justice.
- Respect Among the Legal Community: We dedicate our work to complex commercial and consumer contingent-fee litigation. We regularly handle collective, class, and mass actions, often leading nationwide teams of co-counsel in challenging, detailed commercial litigations. Other law firms trust our skills, work ethic, experience, and knowledge of mass tort litigation to guide a case from conception to conclusion.
- Commitment to a Better World: One of our goals is making revolutionary change in how businesses are allowed to conduct themselves. While monetary compensation is a significant aspect of many cases, we believe that preventing the same harmful acts from happening again in the future is equally important. We strive for victories that bring about industrywide changes, aiming to enact meaningful, fair, and lasting changes to regulations, corporate policy, and law so that everyone benefits from the cases we win.
- Unparalleled Leadership: Our team is led by two nationally-recognized attorneys, Rick Paul and Ashlea Schwarz. They are dedicated, diligent people of integrity who always prioritize the needs of our clients. They have successfully litigated against some of the nation’s most powerful companies, securing some of the largest settlements ever achieved in the United States.
What Is a Mass Tort?
A mass tort is a civil action involving multiple plaintiffs against one or a few corporate defendants in state or federal court. These cases typically arise when several individuals have suffered a similar type of harm because of the same product or action.
Examples of mass torts include cases related to pharmaceuticals, consumer products, environmental disasters, and large-scale accidents. Mass tort aims to provide a mechanism for many individuals who have suffered similar harm to come together and seek justice. Unlike a class action lawsuit, mass tort allows each affected individual to receive compensation in proportion to their losses. Because that is true, in a mass tort, you are not just a number. Your unique story matters to us.
What Do Mass Tort Attorneys Do?
Mass tort attorneys represent multiple plaintiffs in civil lawsuits against one or several defendants. These attorneys work to prove that the defendant’s negligence or intentional misconduct caused harm to their clients. This work can include the following:
- Researching and gathering evidence
- Presenting arguments in court
- Negotiating settlements
- Striving to secure the maximum compensation for clients’ injuries and losses
At Paul LLP Trial Attorneys, our mass tort attorneys not only seek compensation for our clients but also strive to bring about significant changes in industries and corporate behaviors to prevent future harm.
What Are the Most Common Types of Mass Torts?
Mass torts typically involve several types of cases. They can arise from incidents involving pharmaceuticals, medical devices, environmental toxins, and even large-scale disasters.
- Pharmaceuticals – This type of mass tort often involves drugs that have caused significant side effects or harm to consumers, leading to health complications or death. Cases like these often concern the manufacturer’s failure to adequately warn the consumer about potential risks.
- Medical Devices – Similar to pharmaceuticals, medical devices can also be the subject of mass torts. These cases often involve faulty implants or devices that lead to severe health issues or require further surgeries.
- Environmental Toxins – Mass torts can also emerge from the release of environmental toxins, either through pollution, chemical spills, or other forms of contamination. The people affected by these toxins often suffer health complications and, in some cases, property damage.
- Large-Scale Disasters – Events such as plane crashes, oil spills, or other disasters can lead to mass torts if multiple people suffer similar injuries or losses due to the event.
What Is a Bellwether Trial?
A bellwether trial is a case that the court and the parties select to test the arguments and gauge the potential reactions of a jury. The outcomes of these initial trials provide valuable insight into how future related cases might play out, helping the relevant parties develop strategies for resolution, whether through litigation or settlement.
The bellwether process is particularly valuable in mass tort litigation, where hundreds or even thousands of similar lawsuits are pending in the court system. By selecting a representative sample of cases for initial trials, parties can gain an understanding of what they might expect if they proceed to trial or whether a settlement might be a more prudent path.
Mass Torts Paul LLP Trial Attorneys Have Filed
The team at Paul LLP Trial Attorneys is currently filing lawsuits on behalf of United States servicemen and women, farmers, agricultural workers, and other injured individuals to hold these corporations accountable:
3M, Manufacturers of Combat Arms™ Earplugs
The 3M earplug lawsuit is an extensive, ongoing litigation involving thousands of military service members in the United States. This mass tort action alleges that 3M’s earplugs were defective and led to hearing damage from loud sounds on the battlefield or during training exercises. This mass tort is the largest multi-district litigation in US history.
The earplugs in question are the Combat Arms Earplugs (CAEv2), produced by Aearo Technologies Inc., a 3M subsidiary, and supplied to the United States military between 2003 and 2015. The CAEv2 earplugs had a dual-end design: if worn one way, they should block sound like traditional earplugs, and if worn in reverse, they should block only certain types of loud battlefield noise while allowing the wearer to hear softer, closer sounds. The problem alleged with the CAEv2 earplugs is that they can be too short in a wearer’s ear canal, thus failing to form the proper seal to protect the inner ear from damaging noise effectively.
After 3M reached a settlement with the federal government without admitting liability in 2016, individual service members began filing lawsuits against 3M. The plaintiffs alleged that the defective earplugs caused them to develop hearing loss and/or tinnitus. There are currently more than 230,000 military service members or veterans suing 3M. As of June 2023, most of the 3M earplug lawsuit claims have not been resolved.
Ethylene Oxide Investigation
We are investigating claims on behalf of those who were diagnosed with cancer and previously or currently live and/or work near industrial plants where ethylene oxide is emitted into the air. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer, please contact us for a free case evaluation.
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease due to Paraquat exposure, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit for financial compensation to help cover medical expenses and/or lost wages. Paul LLP Trial Attorneys can help you seek the compensation you deserve.
Taxotere Eye Lawsuit
Paul LLP Trial Attorneys, along with co-counsel Hotze Runkle PLLC, have been appointed lead counsel in an MDL filed on behalf of cancer survivors who suffered injuries to their tear ducts after taking Taxotere (Docetaxel) chemotherapy. If you were impacted by Taxotere, our law firm can help you seek the compensation you deserve.
Contact Paul LLP Trial Attorneys Today
If you or a loved one has suffered injury or harm due to corporate negligence or a dangerous product, please contact the skilled attorneys at Paul LLP Trial Attorneys. While these corporate giants often believe they are untouchable, we believe in holding them accountable for their wrongdoing. With your help, we can make industrywide change and create a better future for everyone. With a wealth of experience tackling complex mass tort cases, Paul LLP Trial Attorneys remains dedicated to our clients’ rights and fights tirelessly to secure the compensation they deserve.
Whether against Monsanto, 3M, or another corporation or entity, we encourage anyone with potential claims to contact us for a free consultation. To learn more about how Paul LLP Trial Attorneys can assist you with your mass tort claim, call us today at (816) 984-8100 or visit us online.